Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Teaching Listening Practicum Sept.2

I took an audio clip from VIO Special English for Teaching Listening. Objectives stipulated were as follows:
By the end of this session, after listening to an audio clip, you should be able to-
* tell the main idea/ gist of the clip
* answer orally 5 - 8 questions containing specific information
After giving the purposes of listening and explaining the difference between hearing and listening, I played the audio clip for the ss and asked them to look for the main idea in the clip. The ss , after first hearing, came out with two words - American education, clearly hinting at the gist. Being instrctuted to look for specific information for answering the eight questions in the distributed handout, they were given the second hearing to the clip. I inquired about whether they could find the specific information. Then I played the audio for the third time asking them to ascertain finding the answers to the questionaire. They were able to answer 6- 7 questions correctly. I think, my objectives were achieved. Response of the ss was quite satisfying to me.
I could have told sth about VOA Special English and used brainstorming. My stress management is to be strengthened.
Pl. help me polish myself.

1 comment:

Neeru Bhargav said...

Polish: First of all thank you for using the technology. It was a well planned lecture.Your selection of the task from VOA special English was great.I think it is a very useful site for L2 learners who wish to improve their listening skills.It was nice that you asked questions based on your during listening activity.

Questions: Were your students able to differentiate between hearing and listening?

Polish: I think it would be a good idea to assist those students who are unable to give answers.It would also be helpful to the Ss to tell them what the audio is about i.e. a song or a piece of information in the objectives and not just "a video clip".A pre-listening activity can generate interest among them.
You can give the url address of the website to the Ss for out of class practice as well.